Thursday, December 9, 2010

Songwriting 101












Earwig is taking it easy this December so we can all re-charge our batteries, visit with our families, eat cookies and all that jazz. I’m using this time to write songs for the next record, which we’ll start working on next year. We’ve got a couple of new songs under our belt already, one of which “I Don’t Want to Go”, is performed live here (LINK). All of the songs on Gibson Under Mountain came to me in dreams. But when I sit down to write in a more conventional way it helps to have lots of inspiration laying around. Right now I’m reading The Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra and Tertium Organum by P.D. Ouspensky. Just a couple of books to try and broaden my view of reality and hopefully influence some new hit Earwig songs in the process. In addition to having a guitar, Casio keyboard and hand held tape recorder all on standby, I usually fuel my efforts with a strong batch of coffee when I get up. I like being hyper in the morning.

No comments: